sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David McNab <david AT rebirthing.co.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] XEmacs Alt Key Bug
  • Date: 12 Aug 2002 02:14:01 +1200

Hi,

I've just installed SourceMage in the last day, and am generally really
impressed.

Just one painful problem - in XEmacs, the Alt key is being interpreted
as a Meta key.

I think this is wrong - it certainly wasn't the case with Emacs on
Debian.

I've searched all over google, xemacs.org and emacswiki.org, and while
there's some info on turning Alt into Meta, there's no info on turning
it back into Alt. I've hit a low point of frustration with this one.

Can someone *please* tell me how I can setup XEmacs (or X, if absolutely
necessary) so that the Alt key gets read as an Alt key?

I've got a whole pile of Emacs keybindings I've been using for months,
which need the Alt key. No way do i want to lose the extra functionality
of having Alt.

Thanks for your help,
Cheers
David