sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Aaron Brice <abrice2 AT cox.net>
  • To: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • Cc: Source Mage Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs
  • Date: 24 Jul 2002 21:19:56 -0700

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 14:49, Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ wrote:
> P.S. To whoever it was who said that their motto was "Screw people
> with 386s". I run a dual P-III in actuality. I also recall similar
> comments by those at Microsoft about people with slower processors.
> Perhaps you'd like to align yourself with them in the name of lamer,
> bloatier programming?

Yes. Absolutely. When I said "Screw people with 386s" I was not
exaggerating in any way, and what I actually meant is that I'd like to
see lamer, bloatier programming.

Your comment reminds me of Godwin's Law, "As a Usenet discussion grows
longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler
approaches one." In this mailing list of course a comparison to
Microsoft being about the same thing..

To clarify my actual point, supporting 386's is nice and all if it
happens to work out. But if there's any changes that will make X
compile faster on the Pentium and up CPU's that 99% of the people have,
and it ruins compatibility with a computer that no one would ever want
to run a source based distribution on, I say go for it. Optimizing for
a computer built post-1980 does not mean the code is bloated..

Aaron