sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile time failure stats

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile time failure stats
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:35:46 -0700 (PDT)

Julian v. Bock said:
> Hi

> DM> Heya guys, Dufflebank and I thought of an idea where each time a DM>
> compile time failure happens, an automated email gets sent to a DM>
> automatically processing perl script which updates stats on what DM>
> things fail...
>
> DM> Something like
>
> DM> Rank Package Version GCC version Reason 1 sed 3.02.80 3.1 Failed DM>
> to retrieve source 2 .... ... .... ....
>
> If this gets ever implemented, it must be disabled by default. I (and
> probably many others) don't want cast to silently send emails about
> stuff I install to anyone.
>
> Julian

Perhaps if this were sent anonymously? I think this idea is nice as long
as (as was said earlier) the maintainer does not receive every message,
but instead can go look up at the "stats page". I also do not think it
should send e-mail, as (again, said earlier) not everyone will have a SMTP
server setup, but everyone can do POST/GET.

FYI: This was talked about back in the ol' days with Kyle, along with a
rating system for spells that worked (IIRC), but was shot down (don't
remember by who, nor the reasons).

-One of Three

--
Eric Sandall | (P)e-mail: sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net
Source Mage GNU/Linux | (P)web: http://hellhound.homeip.net/