sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile time failure stats

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <sandalle AT hellhound.homeip.net>
  • Cc: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Compile time failure stats
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:22:14 +0200

Hi

ES> Perhaps if this were sent anonymously?

If a host connects to a server it is not anonymous anymore. Connecting
to a server / sending data without the explicit permission of the user
(default no of course) must not be done by anyone who has the
slightest respect for privacy.

We should *definitely* *not* spy on our users, no matter whether we
intend to do something useful with the information.

ES> I think this idea is nice
ES> as long as (as was said earlier) the maintainer does not receive
ES> every message, but instead can go look up at the "stats page". I
ES> also do not think it should send e-mail, as (again, said earlier)
ES> not everyone will have a SMTP server setup, but everyone can do
ES> POST/GET.

You don't need a smtp server to send email, BTW.

Julian