sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: md5 / license fields

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eric AT schabell.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: md5 / license fields
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:27:24 +0200

> From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:35:13 +0200
> Subject: [SM-Discuss] md5 / license fields
>
> Hi
>
> I was going to add md5 and license fields sooner or later to my
> sections. However, it seems that nobody actually knows what to do.
>
> There are at least 3 different formats for md5sums in the grimoire,
> and the format described in the grimoire gurus handbook does not
> support multiple source files.
>
> It is not specified what to do with spells which are released under
> more than one license, or which contain parts that are released under
> different licenses.

I have updated the Guru Handbook to reflect the multiple license and mulitple
md5 sums, version is now 2.2. This was changed awhile ago and never made it
into the handbook. Hope this helps. We have no announce list anymore so will
post it to the grimoire lists shortly.

> Is anything of the md5 / license stuff already implemented in sorcery?
> If not, we should take a breath and start thinking first how to do
> things before maintainers dig through hundreds of spells for nothing.

This is up to Anders I would guess?

> Furthermore, I asked some time ago why / whether someone decided to
> compute the checksums of the _compressed_ tarballs. This breaks the
> fuzzy downloading and the (not yet implemented) automatic bzip2
> recompression of tarballs (note that some people recompress the
> tarballs manually). I did not get a single answer, and I don't know a
> single reason why we should do this.

I still have no answer for this one... :)

--
Regards,

/*
* Eric Schabell