seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Elise Lutrick" <seedsaverslist@gmail.com>
  • To: "Seed Keepers" <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:09:09 -0600

Lucy,

Are you absolutely sure that NONE of those GMO beet plantings are
being done for the purposes of producing GMO seeds for sale to
gullible farmers? They have to be raising them in a massive manner
SOMEWHERE, and where ever that place is will have GMO beet pollen in
an abundance plentiful enough to contaminate every beet field for
miles.

Also, I don't know that I quite buy the claim that 100% of all such
beets will be harvested in the year in which they are planted.

I garden about 2 acres. I have had turnips reappear in the spring and
bloom after they have been plowed under. And I pay attention to
detail. These folks will not care about the details. Profit is the
goal.

As an analogy, in commercial chicken houses there are always some
birds that are not harvested because they run around the periphery of
the house. At some point the cost of gathering the last few more than
offsets the benefit of catching them, and so they are left behind.

It will be the same thing with the beets. People are fallible, and
they are sloppy. Life (and death) sometimes gets in the way. Harvest
does not always occur. Rains come and wash planted seed downstream and
they sprout and grow outside the area maintained by mechanical
cultivators or seed is accidently scattered in unplanned places. In
large-scale commercial farming, harvest will only be done on a scale
that is fiscally profitable. I just do not buy the suggestion that any
extra effort will be expended to round up any plants that grow outside
the designated mechanical harvest area.

On top of that, Mother Nature is fickle. There is the way she usually
does things. But there is also usually an exception.

The effects of even a small-scale contamination of this sort will be
cumulative to those who save their own seeds. And contamination of
this sort will not be easily contained or reversed.

Elise