seedkeepers - Re: [seedkeepers] Thanks to Lawrence

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Elise Lutrick" <seedsaverslist@gmail.com>
  • To: seedkeepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [seedkeepers] Thanks to Lawrence
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:58:47 -0600

Because, Lucy,

Although in an ideal world, GMO beets would be harvest before they
flower, it will not work that way 100% of the time, particularly since
mechanical harvesters will be used. Some of the stray beets will
remain in the ground to flower the following spring. Beets are wind
pollinated and their pollen is light, so, depending upon variety and
other conditions pollen can travel and contaminate crops up to 5 miles
away. The only practical means of protection against contamination on
a commercial basis is complete isolation. No one can afford to protect
an organic crop from GMO contamination using barrier methods, and such
contamination renders a farmer's organic crop unsalable.

Elise