seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: lucy Owsley <boulderbelt@voyager.net>
  • To: seedkeepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] [seedkeepers] GMO pollen and what to know...
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:49:39 -0500

i know about the Monsanto vs Schmieser case. But canola is an ANNUAL crop that makes flowers/pollen/seed/ the same year it is planted. beets are  BIENNIAL which means they have to be over wintered in order to make flowers/pollen/seed the following year after they have been planted.

My point is the GMO beets grown for the suugar trade will be harvested long before they go to seed.make pollen. Thus should not be a problem for anyone growing out beets or chard for seed. And if this becomes a problem Isolate the flowering beets with hoop houses (this is what I do with my chard I save for seed)

Thus the argument that GMO beets are bad because they will cropss pollinate is not a good argument and we can come up with much better ones. I have been in the anti-GMO fight a long time (15+ years) and one thing I have learned is if you come up with a bad arguement that the Biotech shills can poke holes in they will and they will turn the argument back on you quickly and with devistating effects. they are good at what they do. So choose your arguements and examples carefully. beet pollen can be shot down too easily (I just did it using the fact beets are beiennial and that a food crop will be 100% harvested the 1st year so no pollen to contaminate non GMO beets the second. this is basic plant sex people, don't get blinded by your rage)