piw - Re: [piw] relationships implementation

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Heide Hermary <heide.hermary AT gaiacollege.ca>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] relationships implementation
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:16:41 -0800

Sean Maley wrote:
 I have been
envisioning "relationships" to mean between one or
more organisms, rather than "nitrogen fixing" and the
sort.  For one, "nitrogen fixing" is a type of
relationship, not a relationship.
What does relationship mean? In the nitrogen fixing situations the bacteria capture nitrogen gas from the air in the soil and transform it - either within or on the immedite surface of - the plant root  in exchange for carbon compounds.  This is a direct and deliberate trade association.  Other nitrogen fixing bacteria just live in the soil, and I am not aware of any having such direct relationships with plants.  So personally I would call that relationship a food / food trade or exchange  rather than "nitrogen fixing".  Of course there any many different types of food / food relationships, and maybe one of them would be called "nitrogen fixing".  What, then would you call mycorrhizae? I don't know the answer of course, somehow we need to come to terms with the complexity
I database of
relationships between all species to all other species
would be sizable, but possible.  However, all species
to all species to all types to compound relations
involving more than two species will be mighty big.  I
imagine this to be one of the fundamentals about what
the project could provide to the community.

Yes, that would be in immense piece of work, of course only possible through cooperation by many, many people across the world and with many different areas of expertise
How many species would be involved in the most complex
relationships?  How many relationship types would be
needed to encompass the whole picture?
Who knows? I don't think anything of this nature has ever been attempted.  And maybe it is way beyond what everybody else envisions.
How does your
current database capture this information?

Actually it does and it doesn't.  It would capture it in plain text format, but I find that our students don't think in those terms, even if they think they do.  My personal feeling is that this simple human-centered mindset is at the root of our current ecological problems, but then who knows.

Cheers, Heide

Wiki technology is absolutely fantastic for creating immediate and meaningful links.  My dream database would be one that is dynamic like Wikis, yet more structured in that it looks for specific type of information.  Sorry, I have zero understanding of the technical aspects.

Cheers, Heide

-Sean.
--- Heide Hermary <heide.hermary AT gaiacollege.ca>
wrote:

Chad Knepp wrote:

 o Since we only have plants at the moment, how

should we represent

   relationships with non-plant elements

(animals)?

There are not just animals, but microbes as well,
and they can be
antagonistic (as in diseases, pests, etc.), or
synergistic, as in
mycorrhizae, nitrogen fixing bacteria, pollinators,
etc..  Knowing the
specific species involved in all relationships would
be helpful,
wherever that is possible.  For instance not all
nitrogen fixing plants
form relationships with the same species of
basteria. Most plant
diseases and pest are very finnicky about their diet
(i.e. the plants
they care to eat).  I think if we want to go beyond
current concepts we
can start right here, by treating all of these as
equals and  partners
to their relationships

 o What sorts of information should a relationship

have?  Things

   like: A list of plants contained in the

relationship.  One [or more]

   word[s] that describe[s] the relationship.

See above. So much more information is needed

 o Should relationships be owned? editable?

moderateable?

Considering how little information we currently have
about these, people
should not be restricted from entering information.
I am questioning
the need to "own" a relationship between organisms.
I see this more
like a huge multidimensional web, where different
organisms have many
different relationships with many other organisms.
Thus specific
relationships don't need to be defined per se, they
either are or aren't.

For instance, a plant can have many pollinators.
Would you define the
relationship as "pollination", or as a relationship
between 2
organisms.  In case of the latter, the relationship
can actually be
multi-dimensional (such as a plant providing nectar
to ladybugs that
come and feed on aphids, or whatever).

 I don't know if that makes sense.

 o What's the difference between a

quality/attribute and a

   relationship?  For example is nitrogen fixing a

relationship or an

   attribute?  What about alleopathic (sp?)

properties?

I already talked about the nitrogen fixing
relationships.  Allelopathic
compounds are products produced by plants, not
necessarily attributes
(unless we want to take the human centered
perspective here).  As such
they are used to regulate the plant's relationships
(i.e. protect itself
from predators, competitors, etc., BUT they may also
and simultaneously
be used to encourage other organisms! -). Who knows
if we can ever
understand all that, it is sooo complex, but it
would be useful for the
database to NOT limit the evolution of our
understanding.

 o What's the difference between a comment and a

relationship?

A comment might define or describe the relationship.

 o How is a relationship different from a natural

plant community?

Relationships are specific arrangements between
organisms, a natural
plant community is only one manifestation.  In
reality those plants
have relationships with all kinds of other
organisms, including insects,
animals, microbes.  How detailed do you want to get?

Cheers, Heide

Also the techie folks on the list can feel free to

chime in with

suggested schema (relational/SQL stuff).  Remember

different

relationships are probably going to be one-to-one,

one-to-many,

many-to-one, and many-to-many.