piw - [piw] relationships implementation

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg AT galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb AT lists.ibiblio.org, piw AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [piw] relationships implementation
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:18:59 -0600

Need some help here,

Although we have talked about it before, I'm still sort of unclear on
what relationships are to the extent that I'm not coming up with an
implementation. Can folks suggest some stuff? Specifically I think
it would help me to hear some fantasies as to how they might work; as
in you define a relationship this way with these elements and when you
search for this or are looking at that you get a path to the
relationship.

Here are some questions that might help.

o Since we only have plants at the moment, how should we represent
relationships with non-plant elements (animals)?

o What sorts of information should a relationship have? Things
like: A list of plants contained in the relationship. One [or more]
word[s] that describe[s] the relationship.

o Should relationships be owned? editable? moderateable?

o What's the difference between a quality/attribute and a
relationship? For example is nitrogen fixing a relationship or an
attribute? What about alleopathic (sp?) properties?

o What's the difference between a comment and a relationship?

o How is a relationship different from a natural plant community?

Also the techie folks on the list can feel free to chime in with
suggested schema (relational/SQL stuff). Remember different
relationships are probably going to be one-to-one, one-to-many,
many-to-one, and many-to-many.

--
Chad Knepp
python -c 'import base64;print base64.decodestring("cHlnQGdhbGF0ZWEub3Jn")'