permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Solar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Solar
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 14:42:56 +1200

Mary..you may like to contact www.permacultureeducation.com

Steve Hart

On 22 July 2017 at 08:48, P. Jeremy Baker via permaculture <
permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> A couple of points spring to mind regarding investing in solar energy. As
> long as all the necessary permits were acquired then banks recognize solar
> in the appraisal and mortgage. If the time comes to sell this is important.
> It's transferable.
> A grid tie system without battery backup is basically hassle free. A off
> grid or grid tie with battery backup system is a lifestyle change and
> bigger investment of time, money, and maintenance.
> If the panels are placed on the roof the roofing underneath should be new
> or in excellent condition.
> Enjoy,
>
> Jeremy
>
> > On Jul 21, 2017, at 12:06 PM, Mom's Computer <murbith@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have recently purchased a home on an acre of land that is mostly lawn,
> just outside of Hillsborough. I intend to move carefully as I make changes
> and would like to spend a full year observing what wind, water, animals,
> people and plants tend to do here before I start introducing changes. In
> the meantime I’d like to start educating myself. I have only a vague
> knowledge about permaculture coupled with a love of the land and firmer
> knowledge about gardening and growing things. My two starter questions are
> these:
> >
> > 1. The back of the house faces south onto a half acre of lawn at the
> far side of which is a line of huge trees. I think they are called Green
> Giants. They are probably at their mature height, but their shadow doesn’t
> get anywhere close to the house. It seems to me that the current situation
> is perfect for solar on the roof and/or somewhere in the yard. Can anyone
> suggest resources to me for learning more about the pros and cons of solar,
> what to look for, what to avoid and who in our area would be best to talk
> to about specifics and installation if we decide it makes sense to go that
> route?
> >
> > 2. I would like very much to really dive into the details of
> Permaculture. I currently receive the North American Permaculture Magazine
> and listen to the Permaculture Podcast regularly and they have provided the
> bulk of my knowledge. I feel like I have bits and pieces of an
> understanding, but nowhere near an integrated whole picture. I am
> considering taking the Intro to Permaculture class offered by Will Hooker
> at NC State, online and pre-recorded, but I’m wondering if there are other
> local opportunities that give an in depth overview of permaculture in real
> time. I know there is some kind of certification. Is it worth it to try
> and get it? If yes, where would be the best, most local venue?
> >
> > Any information that y’all care to share would be much appreciated!
> >
> > Mary Beth
> >

> > permaculture mailing list
> > permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
> > subscribe/unsubscribe|user config|list info:

Kia ora Ehoa

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: