permaculture - [permaculture] Solar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Mom's Computer <murbith@gmail.com>
  • To: Permaculture Group <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Solar
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:06:37 -0400

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a home on an acre of land that is mostly lawn, just
outside of Hillsborough. I intend to move carefully as I make changes and
would like to spend a full year observing what wind, water, animals, people
and plants tend to do here before I start introducing changes. In the
meantime I’d like to start educating myself. I have only a vague knowledge
about permaculture coupled with a love of the land and firmer knowledge about
gardening and growing things. My two starter questions are these:

1. The back of the house faces south onto a half acre of lawn at the far
side of which is a line of huge trees. I think they are called Green Giants.
They are probably at their mature height, but their shadow doesn’t get
anywhere close to the house. It seems to me that the current situation is
perfect for solar on the roof and/or somewhere in the yard. Can anyone
suggest resources to me for learning more about the pros and cons of solar,
what to look for, what to avoid and who in our area would be best to talk to
about specifics and installation if we decide it makes sense to go that route?

2. I would like very much to really dive into the details of Permaculture.
I currently receive the North American Permaculture Magazine and listen to
the Permaculture Podcast regularly and they have provided the bulk of my
knowledge. I feel like I have bits and pieces of an understanding, but
nowhere near an integrated whole picture. I am considering taking the Intro
to Permaculture class offered by Will Hooker at NC State, online and
pre-recorded, but I’m wondering if there are other local opportunities that
give an in depth overview of permaculture in real time. I know there is some
kind of certification. Is it worth it to try and get it? If yes, where
would be the best, most local venue?

Any information that y’all care to share would be much appreciated!

Mary Beth