permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture as Deep Ecology

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@mailman1.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture as Deep Ecology
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 10:59:29 -0400

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 7:42 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
wrote:

> ...and finally, the Native Ameiicans got it when they stated in their
> prayers "all my relations". That is the mind set that leads to self
> realization.

“At any moment, you have a choice, that either leads you closer to your
spirit or further away from it. Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is
the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to
anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free."

~Thich Nhat Hanh~

~ Choices ~

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our
thoughts we make the world.

Speak or act with an impure mind and trouble will follow you, as the wheel
follows the ox that draws the cart.

Speak or act with a pure mind and happiness will follow you as your shadow,
unshakable.

"Look how he abused me and hurt me, how he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate. Abandon such thoughts, and
live in love.

In this world hate never yet dispelled hate. Only love dispels hate. This
is the law, ancient and inexhaustible.

~ Buddha ~

“What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you
seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find. When
someone seeks," said Siddhartha, "then it easily happens that his eyes see
only the thing that he seeks, and he is able to find nothing, to take in
nothing because he always thinks only about the thing he is seeking,
because he has one goal, because he is obsessed with his goal. Seeking
means: having a goal. But finding means: being free, being open, having no
goal.”

~ Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere
them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even
more I revere them when they stand alone.

In their highest boughs the world rustles, their roots rest in infinity;
but they do not lose themselves there, they struggle with all the force of
their lives for one thing only: to fulfill themselves according to their
own laws, to build up their own form, to represent themselves. Nothing is
holier, nothing is more exemplary than a beautiful, strong tree.

Trees are sanctuaries. Whoever knows how to speak to them, whoever knows
how to listen to them, can learn the truth. They do not preach learning and
precepts, they preach, undeterred by particulars, the ancient law of life.

When we are stricken and cannot bear our lives any longer, then a tree has
something to say to us: Be still! Be still! Look at me! Life is not easy,
life is not difficult. Those are childish thoughts. Let God speak within
you, and your thoughts will grow silent.

You are anxious because your path leads away from mother and home. But
every step and every day lead you back again to the mother. Home is neither
here nor there. Home is within you, or home is nowhere at all.

A longing to wander tears my heart when I hear trees rustling in the wind
at evening. If one listens to them silently for a long time, this longing
reveals its kernel, its meaning. It is not so much a matter of escaping
from one's suffering, though it may seem to be so. It is a longing for
home, for a memory of the mother, for new metaphors for life. It leads
home. Every path leads homeward, every step is birth, every step is death,
every grave is mother.

So the tree rustles in the evening, when we stand uneasy before our own
childish thoughts: Trees have long thoughts, long-breathing and restful,
just as they have longer lives than ours. They are wiser than we are, as
long as we do not listen to them.

But when we have learned how to listen to trees, then the brevity and the
quickness and the childlike hastiness of our thoughts achieve an
incomparable joy. Whoever has learned how to listen to trees no longer
wants to be a tree. He wants to be nothing except what he is. That is home.
That is happiness.”

― Hermann Hesse,
Bäume. Betrachtungen und Gedichte

Do not pursue the past. Do not lose yourself in the future. The past no
longer is. The future has not yet come. Looking deeply at life as it is, in
the very here and now, the practitioner dwells in stability and freedom.

~ Bhaddekaratta Sutta ~

[image: Inline image 1]

Let it be still, and it will gradually become clear.

~Lao Tzu,
Tao Te Ching

[image: Inline image 2]

--