permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Teacher Training Courses, the PDC, and Advanced Permaculture Courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rhonda Baird <rk.baird@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Teacher Training Courses, the PDC, and Advanced Permaculture Courses
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:03:45 -0400

Summoning my courage to share :)

Alan,

While a Teacher Training may not be required to teach permaculture, it can be
helpful in supporting the work of offering the course.

For my own part, I had the opportunity to apprentice with a teacher (Peter
Bane) for 10 courses: moving from apprentice to journey woman to junior
teacher—and now (after 11 years) feeling competent to lead courses and work
to mentor new teachers. I do not know of anyone else in North America that
has had a similar experience or opportunity (though I would love to find
others and know of their stories). In the beginning, my offerings were few
and fully supported by the lead teacher. I filled several notebooks at each
of the early courses—essentially taking the PDC over and over again. In my
opinion, four years of just any permaculture work doesn’t prepare someone to
teach well. It is an art and a skill to facilitate permaculture design
education for a variety of learning styles, ages, and cultures.

Teaching with other teaching teams now is also very, very educational. One
of my colleagues remarked that they had never seen so much presented so
clearly in a PDC before. That makes me think that we need much more
cross-pollination between teaching teams.

Apprenticeship, while not perfect, is a good model for educating teachers and
building regional culture. In the beginning, it required me to temper my ego
and feelings of urgency. On the other hand, the commitment and long-term
nature of the relationship was supportive of my role as mother when my
children were younger. I guess I would characterize it as moving toward slow,
old growth culture. I think it’s the kind of slow and steady capacity
building that leads us forward.

For transparency’s sake, I do volunteer with PINA’s Diploma Committee and do
other regional capacity building to support opportunities for other
permaculture practitioners that want to pursue a supported permaculture
education. I also have been doing layout and editorial work with Permaculture
Design Magazine (formerly Permaculture Activist) since 2008. (That has been
an entirely different education about course offerings :)

The attitude that training isn’t necessary, I find counter-productive. Why
wouldn’t someone that is (presumably) charging for workshops to educate
people about permaculture design want to do that with the most integrity and
capacity they could? Why would they not want to make that investment of time,
learning, and money? I know you weren’t advocating that, necessarily,
Alan—and the 4+ years seems almost right when working with an experienced
teacher.

Okay, that feels long-winded for a “lurker” like me :)

kindly,

Rhonda Baird
Bloomington, IN