permaculture - [permaculture] Teacher Training Courses, the PDC, and Advanced Permaculture Courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alan Enzo <ecoenzo@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Teacher Training Courses, the PDC, and Advanced Permaculture Courses
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:27:59 -0500

- Interesting note from another Permaculture List:
Member asks: "Does anyone know of any teacher PDCs happening in the next 6
months"?

I replied, and thought members of this list would appreciate the topic.

Response:

Not sure what you mean by "Teacher PDCs"? The PDC and the Teacher Training
Courses are two different animals.

The "PDC" is the 72-hour Permaculture Design Certificate Course. After a
student gets their PDC Certificate, they often seek out advanced training
opportunities. One of these advanced courses might be a "PDC Teacher
Training".

So, we have the standard 72-hour PDC format, which Bill Mollison directed
teachers to follow. Some teachers are tempted to inflate the number of
hours, or add onto the official 72-hour curriculum (such as adding more
materials on Teacher Training, more in Horticulture/Botany, more in Natural
Building), but Mollison and other elders have advised against this because
of the "TMI" factor (too-much information).

Another reason that most teachers world-wide stick to the standard Mollison
72-hours of material is that it allows for "international recognition" of
your PDC Certificate. If I go to work on a Permaculture farm or Ecovillage
in Italy, and I tell them I have a PDC - they have a reasonable expectation
of what I know (good overall 72-hour foundation in Permaculture,
Permaculture Ethics, etc.). They know they don't have to re-educate you,
because it is understood what is meant by "PDC".

Ingesting the 72-hours is a lot for most people. This is why Mollison
directed teachers who were inclined to add-on to the standard PDC to
instead create Advanced Permaculture Courses.

One such Advanced Permaculture Course that has emerged is the "Permaculture
Teacher Training" course.

It is important to note that a "PDC Teacher Training Course" is *not*
required in order to teach Permaculture PDCs. Bill Mollison suggested to
all that after the PDC, if you do not have at least 4 years of related
experience, you should co-teach with others for 4+years before calling
yourself a "PDC Teacher" or "Permaculture Teacher". Same rule applies for
those going into Permaculture Consulting.

The "Teacher Training" courses were designed originally for those who have
a PDC, wish to teach, but do not have experience teaching or working with
groups. Much of the curriculum from the programs I've seen focus on public
speaking skills, putting together teaching materials and curricula, keeping
students engaged, and creative teaching methods.

Well, I hope that helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions,
--
Alan Enzo
PermacultureEducation.com