permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:31:59 -0500

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Chris Carnevale
<c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>wrote:

> No, market gardening is not permaculture, but market gardens can be and
> often are an expression of permaculture.

Where do people get these crazy ideas? This is one of the most ridiculous
things I have heard in years. You can develop a beautiful by-the-book
natural garden fully integrated with the most important permaculture
methods and principles but....try to sell a tomato to a neighbor...you're
instantly cast out of the garden of permaculture eden, banished to the
region of nonbelievers and poseurs...fsma regs would love this as would eu
regs; i.e. permaculture now only for show.

Natural market farming and gardening _can_ be an expression of the
distilled essence of permaculture. Those of you, like me, who garden or
farm for part or all of their income go ahead and do it and don't look
back, schism in the global permaculture notwithstanding. I invested over
130,000 $ developing my 6 acre farm with systems of raised bed, soil
enriched, market gardens using the best I have learned about permaculture.
I defy anyone to find a single flaw in what I have done, garden beds,
controlled water flow, controlled erosion, recycling of nutrients and
water, catchment ponds with wildlife habitat, berms, swales, dams, water
channeling and more.

If I have to start a new agriculture movement (EcoLandTech) to spare
natural gardeners and farmers from being victimized by new pc control
freaks, I will.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London