permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Carnevale <c.s.carnevale@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:25:05 -0500

No, market gardening is not permaculture, but market gardens can be and often are an expression of permaculture. Looking at nature as a model, there are lots of ecological niches--some things more overtly productive than others--yet they all work together to create systems. Think of a market garden as one element of an ecosystem and it may make more sense. If you look at the bigger picture, market gardens can be using all of the permaculture principles (i.e. capturing and storing energy, valuing biological resources, etc.) and can help increase all the good key metrics of a community's health (soil health, people health, biodiversity, etc.) Relationships formed between market gardens and the surrounding community can help restore (and usually more than just restore) any nutrients that are spread among the community (or system, if you will). Also, think of the influx of renewable resources that are always streaming in like sunshine, rain, wind, etc. Unfortunately probably the biggest nutrient sink from a self-reliant community is the human waste. That's something that needs to be worked on on community scale, big time.

Chris Carnevale