permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture: Closing the loops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture: Closing the loops
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:18:42 -0800

Very good points, Jason. Nutrient and energy loops are open at one level of
any holarchy, but they are closed at the next higher level. And often, vice
versa. There is no rule in nature that says all loops must be closed on all
levels. That's thermodynamic death.

I highly recommend Darrell's book, "Bioshelter Market Garden," which
describes the permaculture design and operation of his bioshelter greenhouse
and farm. I'd call it permaculture, for sure. He arrived at the design and
processes through the design system. And LL is right, it seems that as soon
as you sell one tomato, some folks (not necessarily April, but others)
believe it is now tainted and can't be permaculture. We're still on that
"what is permaculture" subject, aren't we?

Trade (barter, commerce, import and export of resources) is how surplus gets
converted into resources that a system cannot produce itself. It's how
ecosystems work. Trade enriches a system by importing diversity that a system
cannot create itself. All successful systems trade with other systems and
with their environments. I import essential amino acids that I can't make
myself. And so on.

Ecological systems contain loops, but they are never completely closed. A
plant imports CO2, water, minerals, and solar energy, and exports the deadly
corrosive pollutant oxygen, which caused huge problems for much of life about
2.4 billion years ago. It also exports water vapor, pollen and other organic
matter, and so forth. Animals like me import oxygen, carbon-based nutrients,
etc, and export huge amounts of entropy in the form of useless heat, plus
manure, urine, and lots of other stuff that in the wrong system are
pollutants. The marvelous loop of the Krebs (TCA) Cycle is constantly
importing carbon compounds like pyruvate and energy sources, and exporting
CO2, other energy compounds, and surplus amino acid percursors. It's a loop,
but it ain't closed.

The key point is not whether a system has imports and exports--it must have
those. It is whether a system is draining its resource supply, and loading
its export regions, faster than those regions can deal with those loads, or
if it is taxing them with substances that cannot be integrated.

All systems need imports of matter and energy to function, and they all
export entropy and "waste." That dissipation of energy is what maintains the
patterns within the system. Stop the flows of imports and exports, and the
system dies; the pattern collapses.

The field of dissipative systems is one that is very relevant to
permaculture, and I recommend a look for anyone with a systems-type bent.

It also turns out that the systems that maximize the energy flowing through
them tend to be the most successful under selection pressures. This is called
the "maximum power principle," or MPP, and there's been a lot written about
it. It's also starting to look like the systems that export the most entropy
(loosely and inaccurately defined as disorder) into their environments are
also the most successful. That sounds terrible--he who dumps the most garbage
wins--but what it really means is that the order created by that entropy
dissipation results in highly organized and successful systems. This is
called the maximum entropy production principle, or MEPP.

This is one of my favorite subjects, but it delves too deeply into
thermodynamics and other theoretical matters for most folks, so I don't write
about it much (altho I do go to a study group twice a month with a bunch of
crazy retired scientists and jabber about this with them, which is huge fun).

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com