permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Trouble with Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Trouble with Permaculture
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 19:22:25 -0800 (PST)

I think my main objection to the article is that the author seems to have
interacted with only the most ignorant armchair permaculturists and not
looked at the positive. It's not a very balanced article and comes across as
a bit of sour grapes to me.  I do agree that there is dogma in permaculture
and there are assumptions being made by some in the movement. I agree we need
to document our results and am happy that activity is increasing. But I'm not
ready to throw out the concept of "lazy gardening" when I get such huge
yields in the first year with little work from some small plots in my yard,
by using the old standbys of sheet mulch, hugulkulture, and unfamiliar (but
delicious) perennial and tropical vegetables (which are far more suited to my
ecosystem than lettuce and tomatoes). As Michael said, the work to yield
ratio is very attractive. Is it economically viable? It certainly cut down on
my fresh food bill, but I'm well aware that what I do in
my yard is not viable for a market garden. Using true cost accounting and
measuring inputs vs outputs, I made a very healthy net profit on it for the
planet and my own well being however. Am I "wasting good urban farm land?" My
yard was Florida sugar sand, til I transformed it with the local organic
waste stream. Many urban plots contain depleted and compacted soil not to
mention heavy metals and chemicals - far from ideal farm land! Am I growing
greens and fruit instead of carbs? Guilty as charged, but I eat greens daily.
What would be the footprint for me to buy them instead of grow them? I can
buy rice in bulk once a month. I go to my garden daily for fresh greens. Do I
like food forests? Yes, love them (but in an urban area would call them
edible forest gardens as a more accurate term). Do I wait years for them to
be productive? That has never been my understanding of how to design an urban
forest garden, nor would it be the preferred way to do
commercial agroforestry when possible to do otherwise. Do I think that
market gardening is not "good permaculture?" I'm well aware of how much food
my city consumes and where a good chunk of that realistically is going to
come from. We need hundreds of market gardens that incorporate permaculture
principles.  I am doing my part to make it easier for market gardeners to be
successful. Meanwhile, I garden because I love it and I love the yield from
it. It offers balance and a regular connection with the natural world.

There is a place for both market gardeners and back yard food foresters. We
do not have to fight or put each other down. :-)  There is so much good
happening amongst new urban permaculturists who haven't gardened much before
but nonetheless are turning their lawns into abundant jungles of edibles.
What are they doing right? How can that be improved upon?   It's also really
exciting to see the work that Darrell Frey (I enjoyed your book, Darrell) and
other market gardeners and small farmers are doing as they combine the
principles of permaculture with their already substantial knowledge of
farming.

Sometimes new designers pass judgment on the way I'm doing things too - I
suppose it is human nature to some degree. I just tell them - "I will be very
interested in seeing your project in 2-3 years. Be sure to let me know how it
goes!" with a friendly grin. :-)

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:31 PM, Darrell E. Frey