permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Musings III

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Musings III
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 14:44:33 -0700

Loren,
You bring up some good points! I think I might be able to address the one
about enforcement.

I think instead of enforcement, it's more about generating awareness that
there are standards of professional practice, and attempting to organize
those that would agree to them. I think the more we put the standards out
there, the more people will begin to reflect that information in their own
materials. At least that way those that care about standards can have a
growing presence both online and in the culture of permaculture
practitioners. Right now I don't think those of us who feel strongly about
maintaining standards are very visible or cohesive. And, that means people
looking for a PDC don't know to look for standards of teaching and wouldn't
find a whole lot online even if they did know to look.

>From a design perspective, if we want to change anything that involves or
concerns people, I think we have to change the culture around that thing.
In this case we are attempting to create a stronger culture around the
standards that many of us hold to. Right now there isn't much of a culture
around professional permaculture practice, so we need to create it. Then we
can evaluate whether further steps are required and/or desirable. PI has
some new and useful structures coming down the pipe to contribute to this.
Stay tuned!

Jason Gerhardt

--
PO Box 4355