permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Musings III

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Musings III
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 18:42:01 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Toby Hemenway
> <toby@patternliteracy.com>wrote:
>
>> Scott-
>> This is excellent. Thank you for putting it together.
>> Have you posted this anywhere that is publicly available, on FaceBook or
>> on a blog or website? If not, I encourage you to, and I would like to link
>> to it and direct people to it. I think it needs to
>
> be shared widely. I'm posting this on LL's list and I hope you will
>> respond here so that more of us can get a link to it.
>>
>> Toby
>> http://patternliteracy.com
>>

> Toby:
>
> Scott did post this article directly to the list a few days ago. List
> members who maintain permaculture blogs, G+ pages, lists, forums and
> websites could and should do as you requested,
> post it as a sticky blog or forum post or as part of a static file
> display, i.e. collection of important documents that are always accessable.
>
> Is there any possibility you/we could simply lose Facebook as a first
> order place to communicate on the subject of PC, at least about important
> ideas and news such as Scott's thread?

Facebook will lose 80% of users by 2017, say Princeton researchers
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/facebook-princeton-researchers-infectious-disease

"Facebook has spread like an infectious disease but we are slowly becoming
immune to its attractions, and the platform will be largely abandoned by
2017, say researchers at Princeton University. The forecast of Facebook's
impending doom was made by comparing the growth curve of epidemics to those
of online social networks. Scientists argue that, like bubonic plague,
Facebook will eventually die out. The social network, which celebrates its
10th birthday on 4 February, has survived longer than rivals such as
Myspace and Bebo, but the Princeton forecast says it will lose 80% of its
peak user base within the next three years. John Cannarella and Joshua
Spechler, from the US university's mechanical and aerospace engineering
department, have based their prediction on the number of times Facebook is
typed into Google as a search term. The charts produced by the Google
Trends<http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore#q=facebook>service show
Facebook searches peaked in December 2012 and have since begun
to trail off."

Google+ is far more useful, flexible and robust, by many orders of

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com