permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Atomic Goal - 800 Years of Power From Waste-NYTimes.com

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Atomic Goal - 800 Years of Power From Waste-NYTimes.com
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 20:26:09 +0100

We installed a water turbine maybe 15 years ago. We soon found out we could have bought all our electricity for at least 25 years with what it cost us. Then we found that wet Ireland is sometimes for months at a time not wet enough. So we set up a windmill that crashed after two months in a storm. On to solar voltaic which has become quite cheap in recent years but for this you need sun and that we are often very short off. So with al that there are still times we have to use the grid. I can't wait to discover something that works reliably the whole time.

One more positive idea maybe is that it is a lot more efficient to use natural energy direct instead of converting it into electricity. If you have a little stream, it is not difficult to put a water wheel in that turns the waching machine (spinning barrel), butter churn and anything else that can be driven by a turning wheel. If you have a lot of sunshine a solar cooker becomes a possibility. And water punping wind mills were once very common in the US.
All these things are low tech and much easier to maintain in good order than an installation to make electricity with battery bank, inverter and enough eletronics that things do have to go wrong sometimes.
John