permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Confronting the Context: Permaculture and Capitalism
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:42:55 -0600

Loren, Koreen,
My thoughts exactly: It all boils down to character and ethics. I think
whatever system one is working in the character and ethics of the people
involved are what will lead it in a good or bad direction. To echo Loren's
thought, the biggest invisible structure we have to tackle is how to
encourage ethical behavior. If I think back to growing up in some of the
worst (crime ridden) neighborhoods in the country most people in those
places could care less about all this, they just need to meet their needs
via money or materials. The challenge is to find ways to ethically develop
income streams that are positive contributors to the well-being of people
and ecosystems all over the place, and to continually reinvest surpluses.
I'm not particularly concerned with whether it is capitalist, communist, or
cooperative, or whatever, just that it is helping people, ecosystems, and
not hoarding resources.

I cringed a little while reading the article about the over academicization
(not a word apparently) of these concepts. It is far over the head of most
people, I'll admit, myself included. I'm more interested in how people are
applying permaculture design to the social sphere. For the most part I
agree with Rafter that we have to look outside of the permaculture circle
to find much evidence of success. One of my favorites is the Greystone
Foundation. As mentioned earlier it comes down to peoples real motivations,
ethics, and relateability (a big one, also not a word apparently). More
often than not, I see that being the determinant of success or failure.

Jason
--

PO Box 4355
Boulder, CO 80306

*If you desire to play a positive role in the web of life around you, it is
for you that I do what I do.*