permaculture - Re: [permaculture] oxygenation of water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Douglas Hinds <cedecor@gmx.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] oxygenation of water
  • Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 20:11:40 -0600

On April 4th, 2013 09:18 PM, Steve Hart wrote:
Hydroponics....nahhh....sorry Lawrence it does not fit into any part of
Permaculture.

Wikipedia defines hydroponics as follows:

*Hydroponics* is a subset of hydroculture and is a method of growing
plants <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant> using mineral nutrient
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutrient> solutions, in water, without
soil <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soil>. Terrestrial plants may be
grown with their roots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root> in the
mineral nutrient solution only or in an inert medium,

Which the way I understand hydroponics: There's no soil, no soil-food-web, no soil biology - it's not even agriculture (much less permaculture), which helps explain why I become distempered if I eat even a little (something which I would not knowingly do).

Distempered in the sense that steel can lose it's temper. I notice this phenomena in 1973, living somewhere hydroponic tomatoes (and not much else) were available. Loss of focus and momentum, drive, dynamism, orientation - no wonder your grandchildren won't eat them.

It's an anti-biological, anti-evolutionary technology.

Douglas

-------------

I don't know which PDC you did but my several from BM et al
and many life experiences have certainly highlighted this reality. But,
great reverberation there Lawrence and to see which side of the path your
viewpoint is....mine is obviously not on the same path and perhaps more of
a purest within the relm of "Working with Nature not Against it". IMO there
is a world of experiences to explore within the relms of nature to more
than satisfy all the needs of the burgeoning 9 billion even though most
don't deserve to be on this planet. I have had first hand experience in
hydroponics by way of helping a mate out recently for 9 weeks. It proved to
me beyond doubt that what I say satisfies me absolutely. It certainly is
not an "eco-sensitive, nature-friendly agricultural process". It is
synthetic and if a major part of Permaculture is about food it is
reasonably well recognised now that our body needs nutrition from nature
not synthetics.....my case rests...Steve Hart