permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Alternative/traditional methods of doing laundry w/o a machine (how?)
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 19:31:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi Lawrence,

>What are effective ways to hand wash laundry?>cold water OK?
>plenty of large plastic buckets and barrels to use, wheelbarrow?

I do my wash by hand, have only used a washing machine once or twice in the
past several years; and only on extremely rare occasions (like once in the
past 2 years) use a dryer other than Mr Sun.

I wash in a bucket, almost always just cold water and only occasionally warm,
mainly use baking soda, sometimes with a bit of bar-soap lather for extra
cleaning power and a drop or two of essential oil (for fragrance).

One major tip of machine-free washing is to avoid washing anything more often
than I need to! ;-)

Because wringing out hand-washed laundry is a hassle and can mess up certain
clothing, I sometimes think of getting one of those hand-powered
clothes-washers, the Laundry POD
http://www.amazon.com/The-Laundry-POD-LP001GRN-Green/dp/B005FD7ZC8%3FSubscriptionId%3D19BAZMZQFZJ6G2QYGCG2%26tag%3Dsquid1349796-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB005FD7ZC8

I don't beat the clothes on anything. Sometimes I agitate them with a stick
(smooth end of an old broomstick etc.)

Jenny Nazak

"Don't let what you are being get in the way of what you might become."
-- Harry Palmer, author of the Avatar® materials www.TheAvatarCourse.com

(Avatar® is a registered trademark of Star's Edge, Inc. All rights reserved.)

>From dsm3936@sbcglobal.net Sat Mar 9 23:02:53 2013
nXrWOst1S3Pgc4Ep0s0KP9pLUxUz98cxVjHQRTEWVXRyKU3YD2EisXdgmSSI
JXbTVNb9pJyJS0V2Gqr1Fr1s-

ScKgIHVzZSBhIDUgZ2FsbG9uIGJ1Y2tldCBhbmQgYSB0b2lsZXQgcGx1bmdlciBmb3IgYWdpdGF0aW9uLsKgIEEgY29tYmluYXRpb24gb2YgCnZpbmVnYXLCoCBhbmQgYmFraW5nIHNvZGEgcG93ZXIgZm9hbXMgdGhlIGRpcnQgb3V0IGFuZCB2aW5lZ2FyIGFsb25lIGluIHRoZSByaW5zZSAKc29mdGVucy7CoCBUaGUgd3Jpbmdpbmcgb3V0IGlzIHRoZSBoYXJkIHBhcnQgc28gSSB1c2UgdGhlIGluc2VydCBmcm9tIGEgcGFzdGEgcGFuIAphbmQgcHV0IGl0IGluIHRoZSBiYXRodHViIG9yIHNob3dlciBzdGFsbCABMAEBAQE-