permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Roundup, Glyphosate for newbies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Roundup, Glyphosate for newbies
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:13:11 -0500

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Peter Suter <peter.suter@activ8.net.au>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My son is in his second year of a Diploma in Conservation and Land
> Management course here in Victoria, Australia.
>
> He has been through the safe use of chemicals course and has a good
> understanding of the potential dangers of using pesticides, fungicides etc.
>
> However, for Roundup, they were told they didn't need to use *any* of the
> safe handling practices or procedures; and set about spraying without any
> protection whatsoever, including getting the raw chemical all over his legs
> and not taking any action.

LIES LIES LIES!!!!!!!!!

It is dangerous as pure hell.

It can affect serotonin uptake in the brain leading to the severest kind of
chronic depression. This has happened to Midwest farmers
drinking well water contaminated with roundup; many committed suicide. F+++
monsanto and all their products. It is carcinogenic.

Read through this archive of posts from Professor Joe Cummins; many will
contain information, news, alerts and warnings about roundup.

Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to
7/18/2007<http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/JoeCummins/maillist.html>
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/SoilWiki/message-archives/JoeCummins/maillist.html

The two sanet-mg archives will have much information from Joe and others
about roundup:

SANET-MG ARCHIVES
early message archive, to July 2000
http://archive.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/25-html/date.html
To find messages about roundup use this search method in your browser's
search box (upper right hand corner, Firefox)
site:
http://archive.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/25-html/date.htmlroundup
or: site:
http://archive.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/25-html/date.html Joe
Cummins
recent message archives, since July 2000 to the present
http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html
To find messages about roundup use this search method in your browser's
search box (upper right hand corner, Firefox)
site: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html roundup
or: site: http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html Joe Cummins

Here are more from my own archives:

Don't forget the polyacrylamide added to Roundup that can get on harvested
crops and produces carcinogenic compounds during cooking. The
cancer risk from eating cooked potatoes and bread containing
acrylimide has been
in the news recently. See the sanet-mg archive and Joe Cummins posts for much
background on this: http://www.sare.org/htdocs/hypermail/index.html
Search for acrylamide, poly acrylamide, Joe Cummins or jcummins at
UWO.CA <http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/permaculture> to
find
the pertinent threads.
As for more on Roundup and risks from using it see a slightly dated FAQ I put
together a while back
at:http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/faqs/roundup.faqhttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/faqs/http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/
I also have a FAQ on CCA pressure treated
lumber:http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/faqs/pressure-treated-lumber.faqhttp://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/faqs/http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pesticide-education/
--

I hope others will share the workload supplying documentation about the
severe risks

> He loves this course, trusts his teachers and won't listen to me.
>
> They are not to be trusted. He needs to wake up, drop the course, switch
schools, find a different profession, create his own educational
curriculum, take online courses, take a PDC,
become a permaculture professional, do nothing...go out into the bush and
live with some knowledgeable Aborigines, do whatever it takes to extricate
himself from a career that may demand that he work in proximity to any of
the categories of pesticides.....go to New Zealand and visit Steve Hart,
ask his advice.

> Can some of you kind folks please post some info that would help to get his
> thinking on to an actual realistic basis?
>
> What I have given you should be all he needs to become well informed about
the risks posed by roundup and any other pesticide. Upshot: stay well away
from and and all of them.

LL