permaculture - [permaculture] types of woods and their uses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] types of woods and their uses
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:42:59 -0800

It looks as if we are going to stay settled for now... And act as if we own
the place. By that I mean that we would begin to maximize the space for
growing.
And do some serious pruning and removal of trees on our property that are
‘ready to go’ and/or seriously block the sun from the yard as conscience
permits.
What I am contemplating is that this is a golden opportunity to learn more
about trees’ woods and what they work well for...
Which ones are good for huglekultur (sp?), composting, fungi/rot barrier,
carving into eating implements, utensils, buttons, etc. (My mind is a little
frozen at the moment)

Would anyone have any idea of such a database of information?
Just thought I’d start by asking this highly resourceful group of people.
Other than that, I can start by looking up the individual species as well as
seeing what resources I can locate on my topic!
There is also a wood turner in our area that I intend to look up when we are
back home, and he would also likely have something to say on the matter.

Cheers!
Frances