permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fukuoka_farming mailing list needs aco-moderator.
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 13:51:55 -0700

Wow, lots of food for thought here, Dieter! (You were always a bright spot on the Fukuoka list)
In the meantime, want to jump in on a tangent ~
Yes, I noticed on the Fukuoka list that there was a lot of input from 'abroad' speaking from my NA-centric point of view.
However, as I understand it, the practice of natural farming goes way back in the roots of the indigenous cultures of NA and elsewhere, including such place as Central America.
Or, perhaps the point is that the traditions of natural farming have survived in these other cultures, whereas abrupt shifts in population in the Americas meant huge losses of cultural habits of adaptation?
~ ~ ~
****
~ ~ ~
Looking at your list now, this is the area that most interests me:
"- Practical methods for adopting NF to different regions"
(and, of course, examples are always inspiration points for the above.)
What boggles the mind somewhat is the variety of regions and zones and how much the quality of 'inputs' to the system can change accordingly.
I feel like I did when I was a fledgling teacher... I was collecting materials but waiting for the day when I'd find my focus and not have to collect quite so much stuff!
Once I am settled in an area, I can get down to the business of adapting, learning and responding to a specific set of conditions.
In the meantime, I can learn the principles of adaptation, and the things to observe in any set of conditions.

-----Original Message----- From: Dieter Brand