permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture, dentist.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture, dentist.
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:14:26 -0400

On 8/16/2012 2:10 PM, Michael Thompson wrote:
I was recently reading about licorice root for teeth & gums.
"Scientists are reporting identification of two substances in licorice
— used extensively in Chinese traditional medicine — that kill the
major bacteria responsible for tooth decay and gum disease, the
leading causes of tooth loss in children and adults."

Licorice can put people with high blood pressure or heart irregularities at risk. Look it up. I do not remember the ingredient that creates this problem but you need to read the labels on vitamins and supplements to find references to licorice if you are in that health category. People regularly adding licorice to herb tea should read up on this topic. The ingredient is some sort of stimulant and has been used in energizing and sports supplements. It may cause cause some sort of arrhythmia or tachycardia (?). I took an energy supplement once
that contained licorice or the stimulant derived from it and I did not like the effect it had on me at all; never took it again. I am sure licorice is safe in the right dosage in the right preparation if you
are not in the at-risk health category.