permaculture - Re: [permaculture] true-to-type seed exchange

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] true-to-type seed exchange
  • Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 18:38:29 -0500

On 2/1/2012 12:25 PM, Chris Carnevale wrote:

I would like to participate in your proposed "true-to-type" seed exchange.
Perhaps you could set up an invite-only Google Doc as an inventory and
folks could add their name, contact info, and what seeds they have
available. That would be a great resource. Also it would be good for
folks to be cognizant of pest/pathogen transmission issues. I will
certainly participate.

On 2/1/2012 2:44 PM, Jason Gerhardt wrote:

> That is an awesome idea! I think we permaculturalists need more avenues for useful plant exchange. A live plant exchange would be excellent as well.
> In general, I think subtropical and tropical fruits produce closer to type from seed, peaches and apricots too, which helps explain Fukuoka's methods> more. I would be skeptical of plums, cherries, and apples from seed due to multiple cross pollination sources being very frequent in many areas i.e. wild cherries, plums, crabapples. It is possible to get them true to type, but needs control and careful management, likely hand pollination.
> I am beginning to wonder what happens to trees longer term by planting the graft below grade, and leaving it unpruned. I usually plant my grafts about an inch or so below grade as in my very windy climate it makes for a much> more resilient tree. St. Lawrence Nursery in N.Y. recommends this planting method for cold climates too. I have been minimal pruning plants like this so I can't say how well they do without manipulation. I think I will leave a few new trees alone to watch what they do over the years when growing on a combination of
> their own roots and on rootstock.

Good!

I have just added the following email ID's with read and edit permission......

Chris c.s.carnevale@gmail.com
Sal sals3@cox.net
Shawn shawntisdell@gmail.com
Georg g.parlow@gmx.at
Luke luke@groaction.com
Jason jasongerhardt@gmail.com
Michael friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com
Lawrence lfljvenaura@gmail.com

....to all of the following Google Docs Documents and Spreadsheets
and Google Sites:

Read the "Project Discussion: Goals and Means" Document to see if you like those ideas or have anything to add. - LL

Google Sites:

Seed and Plant Resources
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/
copies of any finished or works-in-progress documents are kept in this repository for public viewing and edit sharing with participants, with
links to any Google Spreadsheets and Docs, forums, blogs an websites.

Google Docs Spreadsheets:

Seed and Plant Sources
Shawn Tisdell, owner
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsWaW9JX4vkNdDFXMGFLWGEzdjFXLXcyYWNwbVJ2aVE&hl=en_US#gid=0

True To Type Seed Exchange
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agc-KB8sDNDKdDlkMEZNS2tJS2VfV1FBN0dKNjJHV3c&hl=en_US#gid=0
Chris Carnevale, owner

Google Docs Documents:

Please create any other Documents needed and share with the rest of us as you see fit.

Seed Exchange TTT
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N2wYF8y3tfWA0T8aDIq_iT_BcLjs80kOaoEuHWDqHQQ/edit?hl=en_US
This is the source document for the TTT spreadsheet that I use.
LL, owner

Project Discussion: Goals and Means
add any ideas you have about the projects we share, suggestions, wishes, goals, mission, purpose & uses.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nttM6gBY0icElGDjqQ_h5-PBU3lxU_TRLzkccIscjic/edit?hl=en_US
LL< owner

These are just working documents containing source material to be used elsewhere, NOT for public viewing (they contain a lot of borrowed material from various websites that can be added to the spreadsheets; no intent to copy anything other than individual or company names with contact information).

Seed and Plant Resources 4 all parts
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BWqTCrzCS71o3Gav-zvv4MUUfgMVj0vbTQb9LJlGUD4/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part4
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zh-E-IwmiG1sCzw4J_CrhEro9TUwBmM_Caf7Fv4pR2I/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part3
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ImhTFMZ2rUmLGz65aMvRfCs-YmuwLwjsosHvxs31q60/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part2
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YeGKRxUfX_yCzk-rfoccrdbJ3MNUYyAInSPDlyZwTfE/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Resources 4 part1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13fXXA0H-Iw4FtNiyRd8qdQXyaUaV_HXetox-ejs9c6Q/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 3
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HeIXy9gqgWsX6RxYsK4X7Vx6dCKcFVfQS-zHcnlkNu4/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 2
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1H3m0wORZV39E1gz1cMfDni1s6dD7AnFxXY05TUpQXW8/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

Seed and Plant Sourcelist 1
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14I51qCwqoH1h3-tghAwn0V8KT0z-rhPcm4bGynrqtVU/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner

This is another working document I maintain that contains a compilation of some of the above source material, available for public viewing but is not a finished product. Edit this as you see fit. I add everything new that I find to it just for convenient storage and access:
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/seed-and-plant-source-lists/seed-and-plant-resources
a subset of:
https://sites.google.com/site/seedkeeping/
LL, owner

I am also working on a biointensive farming (covers all biointensive aspects of gardening, farming, landscaping and permaculture) site with an array of useful resources. If anyone would like to participate, use or contribute to this please let me know.
Biointensive Farming
https://sites.google.com/site/biointensivefarming/
A subset for edit sharing if anyone is interested:
Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist and Biointensive Gardening Guide
Garden Hand Tool Sourcelist
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MP85QDZW4x8PXCeXEa0hyVbI98JEeHOLJcj71I1h3Ek/edit?hl=en_US
LL, owner