permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A better wheelbarrow

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A better wheelbarrow
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:11:15 -0500

On 1/23/2012 4:01 PM, John D'hondt wrote:

You are of course right Lawrence, You are the only one to know what system
is most useful for you.

I could make good use of a one wheeled wheelbarrow; anything that works, the right tool for the job. The Jackson contractor's wheelbarrow, all steel with all components replaceable: I have worn out three over the years moving rock, concrete, cement, dirt, rubble, yard waste and a variety of other things. During my lifetime, second to sleeping, I have spent more time using a shovel, and a few other garden tools, than on anything else.

Years ago we got the loan of a two wheeled barrow and it proved completely
useless on our uneven ground. Unless you have hard and even pathways of at
least the width between the two wheels it becomes impossible to move it with
just one person.

Two wheels required for loads like this...maybe a dog team or two as well:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cZcoT3oeLW8/Tx3dKBRNo9I/AAAAAAAAAEM/d2itCVgA5dw/w402/2wheeledcart.jpg

https://plus.google.com/photos/116100117925365792988/albums/5700259890779141377

Amazing to think of the coordination required of the man and the dog team.

Beautiful forest in the background, BTW.

With a one wheel we can even maneuver between the trees in
the woods.
Where we can use a two wheel system we tend to use a horse drawn cart on
which we can move about half a ton (500 kg) at a time.
The Chinese "one wheel" barrow was developed because of deterioration of the
road system due to social upheaval and the fact that it is much easier to
maintain a narrow track than a wide road. In fact the wheels were recycled
from two wheeled carts when these became hard to keep going.
The rule is that the more wheels there are on a cart the more space you need
for turning and maneuvering. The disadvantage of fewer wheels is that you
generally have to use more power to keep the thing in balance and lift more
of the weight.
The Chinese barrow seems like an ideal compromise between these two.
john