permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A better wheelbarrow

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A better wheelbarrow
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 21:01:59 -0000

For me a one wheeled version would be less useful
than a two wheeled one.

You are of course right Lawrence, You are the only one to know what system is most useful for you.
Years ago we got the loan of a two wheeled barrow and it proved completely useless on our uneven ground. Unless you have hard and even pathways of at least the width between the two wheels it becomes impossible to move it with just one person. With a one wheel we can even maneuver between the trees in the woods.
Where we can use a two wheel system we tend to use a horse drawn cart on which we can move about half a ton (500 kg) at a time.
The Chinese "one wheel" barrow was developed because of deterioration of the road system due to social upheaval and the fact that it is much easier to maintain a narrow track than a wide road. In fact the wheels were recycled from two wheeled carts when these became hard to keep going.
The rule is that the more wheels there are on a cart the more space you need for turning and maneuvering. The disadvantage of fewer wheels is that you generally have to use more power to keep the thing in balance and lift more of the weight.
The Chinese barrow seems like an ideal compromise between these two.
john