permaculture - [permaculture] How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket « Kipnews | Kipnews.org | Knowledge is power

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket « Kipnews | Kipnews.org | Knowledge is power
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:56:04 -0500

How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket « Kipnews |
Kipnews.org | Knowledge is power
http://www.kipnews.org/2011/07/14/how-to-i-d-genetically-modified-food-at-the-supermarket/

How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket
Tags: Genetically Modified Food, GMO, Health and nutrition, monsanto

Not many consumers realize that the FDA does not require genetically
modifiedfood to be labeled.

That’s because the FDA has decided that you, dear consumer, don’t care
if the tomato you’re eating has been cross bred with frog genes to
render the tomato more resistant to cold weather.

Some consumers may not be concerned with eating Frankenfood, but for
those who are, here’s how to determine if the fruits and vegetables
you’re buying are (GM) genetically modified.

Hat tip to Marion Owen for her valuable information. Here’s how it works:

For conventionally grown fruit, (grown with chemicals inputs), the PLU
codeon the sticker consists of four numbers. Organically grown fruit
has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by the number 9.

Genetically engineered (GM) fruit has a five-numeral PLU prefaced by
the number 8.

For example:

A conventionally grown banana would be: 4011

An organic banana would be: 94011

A genetically engineered (GE or GMO) banana would be: 84011

These tips are specially important now that over 80% of all processed
foods in the US are genetically modified.

Many countries in the European Union have beenbanning GM products and
produce (including Austria, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary and
Luxembourg).

We say “Eat healthy, buy or grow organic”.

source; http://truthisscary.com/?p=20396