permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket « Kipnews | Kipnews.org | Knowledge is power

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket « Kipnews | Kipnews.org | Knowledge is power
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:34:38 -0000

re sugarbeets: as far as I know, refined sugar can be made from sugar cane
or sugarbeets, and the source does not need to be specified on the label.
So sugar may be GM if it's not organically grown.

Beets are not in the same family as brassicas. Why would there be
cross-contamination?
[Ben wrote, " ...brassicas (due to the possibility of cross-contamination
with GM sugarbeets)... "]

Ben no doubt meant to say canola but slipped with the finger.
john