permaculture - [permaculture] Research: functional NGOs and exemplary sites

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rafter sass ferguson <liberationecology@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, permaculture <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Research: functional NGOs and exemplary sites
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:24:52 -0600

Hello,

As some of you know, I'm developing a research project to provide some
rigorous evaluation of (some of) the impacts of the permaculture movement.
For those who don't know me, I'm a PhD student in agroecology at University
of Illinois, and long-time permaculture activist.

Right now, I'm reaching out to the international permaculture community for
two things: (1) organizations that work, extension-style, with many small
farmers; and (2) stand-out exemplary permaculture sites. I'm hoping to
partner with permaculture NGOs to investigate the impacts of
involvement with permaculture on small farmers, in terms of food security,
climate resilience, and social network strength. I'm especially interested
in projects in Latin America and Africa, but open to suggestions for
anywhere in the world.

I'm fielding suggestions on what organizations might make good research
partners for this project. More than suggestions, I'm looking for
references: organizations (and sites) that you have some experience with,
and have found to be functional and effective.

Working through community partner NGOs, we will conduct participatory
analysis of 5-7 permaculture-identified farms, and make comparisons with
similar non-permaculture farms, on the basis of a small number of key
indicators. The specific indicators will be developed in a participatory
process, but will certainly include some measures of yield, diversity, and
soil health.

I'm currently writing grants to fund this project, while I try and develop
the regional connections that will make the work possible. Some portion of
any funding will (of course) be earmarked for partners and participants.

Are you aware of NGOs who do good work, and for whom this might be
desirable project?

Thanks so much for all your time and work.

Best,
Rafter

  • [permaculture] Research: functional NGOs and exemplary sites, rafter sass ferguson, 01/10/2012