permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 19:13:08 -0500

On 11/16/2011 3:26 PM, Evan wrote:
I just built a small structure where I charred the bottom length of
white pine and then sunk them 3' in the ground. I can't yet speak to
the legitimacy of this practice, but check back with me in a few
years! ;-)
Steve Bonney:
That charcoal will be full of microrganisms in a short amount of time.
Is there any research to indicate this? I am thinking about the practice
of charring the bottom length of posts before burying so that they do
not rot (or at least have a much slower rate of decomposition).

What you're trying to do is "fire harden" the post end that goes into the ground, not char it.. Like metal, wood hardens under heat also...
you eliminate rot causing microorganisms and clean and harden the wood...soak it in linseed oil and turpentine also.
or find some pine sap and beeswax or old candles, animal fat, heat and mix these - apply to post ends - makes a great furniture polish and tool handle preserver too.