permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:46:55 -0600

On Monday, November 14, 2011 11:48:12 PM christopher nesbitt wrote:
> Lawrence,

> We are working on developing a home stove at low cost for families who burn
> wood for cooking here in southern Belize. This is an alternative for rural
> people who cannot afford the natural gas/propane/butane/fossil fuel that
> people in more developed countries use. We have a design that uses a 55
> gallon drum and a welded old propane tank. Total cost? About USD75, less
> than the price of two full tanks of propane, and it gives heat for
> cooking, has fairly complete combustion, and leaves us with carbon to bury
> in the soil. This is not an industrial byproduct, or a way to make money.
> It is a way for small farmers to improve their soils while sequestering
> carbon (generated in natural gas/propane/butane/fossil fuel run stoves,
> for example), while getting the heat they need to do their cooking.

I checked your website for more information (esp., construction) without any
luck. Can you guide me on this?

In addition, I need to set up a solar water pump (in the few gallons per day
range). Do you have any further information beyond the name "Outback Power"?
(I assume that this is http://www.outbackpower.com/ people.)