permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Biochar
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 23:28:34 -0600

John,

I was skeptical, too, initially, but the science is pretty solid on this.
Biochar is good for soil, and removes carbon from the environment, locking it
up in a stable form for a long time. There are ways to use the heat from
making biochar for cooking and heating. It enabled very high populations to
exist in the Amazon before the introduction of Europeans and their diseases
decimated the population.

Rather than go into this here, in any detail, I will suggest you read Albert
Bates book, "The Biochar Solution", which is fantastically informative, and
will explain how it works to you. Albert is a great writer, and this book is
a lot of fun to read, full of history and facts about soil. The book is
available on Amazon.com
www.amazon.com/Biochar-Solution-Farming.../dp/0865716773 nd here is an
interview with Albert,
http://www.treehugger.com/lawn-garden/author-of-the-biochar-solution-says-its-not-a-solution-video.html

Full disclosure, I co teach with Albert and find him to be one of the most
level and thoughtful people I have ever met, a great person to hare coffee
with, full of information, and I admire and respect him. Read this book
before you develop an opinion. There os a lot more to it than you think.

www.biocharsolution.com

Christopher

On Nov 14, 2011, at 4:31 PM, John D'hondt wrote:

> They don't yet know how it works? But they are already telling everybody
> how
> to make it? Burning the planet to cool it?
> If it were not for the very name which comes under the heading of
> "new-speak" in Brave New World more people might wonder if it worked at all
> as do I. Bio means life and char means coal and freedom is slavery and war
> is peace.
> john

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm