permaculture - [permaculture] Hugelkultur questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Hugelkultur questions
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:16:51 -0600

All this conversation about huge hugelkulturs leaves me reinvigorated about
the concept. I began a hugelkultur about 7 years ago when I lived in the
mtns of central Arizona with mostly juniper, pine, straw and soil. I tried
over and over to plant it after one year and two years, but nothing I
planted would take, so I became discouraged with the concept. So here are
my questions:

Has anyone on this list experimented with hugelkultur in arid lands and had
success?

Does it matter what type of wood one uses? How about notorious allelopathic
woods like walnut and certain types of juniper?

I have large design site currently with massive slash piles that I am seeing
a higher use for now, but am concerned the hugelkultur concept may not be
appropriate for drylands.

Any thoughts?

--
Jason Gerhardt