permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Hugelkultur questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Hugelkultur questions
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:09:55 -0700

Jason,
Here's a dryland hugelkultur example with someone whom you knew:
The old school Yugoslavian agricultural master Tom Dubutovitch (R.I.P.)
established his gardens in Cordes Lakes, Arizona (3700' elevation), by
excavating a series of 4'x4' trenches. He then filled them over the period
of one year with all the assorted brush from the neighborhood ( Scrub Oak,
Mesquite, and many other natives and exotics) and finally buried them with
about a foot of soil, let them sit (for one year?) and then planted his
orchard at ground level. The orchard and accompanying understory plantings
were thriving for many years after that. He was in the floodplain of Big Bug
Creek, so sandy alluvial soils.

Andrew Millison
www.beaverstatepermaculture.com