permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What are your priceless permaculture tools?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What are your priceless permaculture tools?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 16:59:30 -0400

On 9/7/2011 3:36 PM, Javan Kerby Bernakevitch wrote:
Out of interest, what are your favourite permaculture tools, the ones you
can't imagine living without now that you use? Gardening? Farming?

These are some of my most often used garden tools:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/GardenTools
I use many different sizes and shapes of Austrian scythes also
plus many kind of carts and wheelbarrows.

To build my raised bed crop production system I did the following:

I carried out a major soil improvement program on 5 acres of my farmland (6+ total) and brought in hundreds of tons of 4 different kinds of local quarry rock dusts; mixed all of it with hundreds of tons of manure, also sourced locally and applied and incorporated it into my farm soil. I used a skid loader to spread strips of the mixture in parallel rows where the raised beds were to be. Here are pics of some of the equipment used to do the tillage, hilling and bedding:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/TractorEquipment
Raised beds, early on:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103223907782626104592/VenauraFarm

Surveying? Map designing? Computer related?

What are the implements that you use that make your permaculture efforts
happen?

See above. I terraformed my land with a skid loader and 70hp farm tractor, often using a 3 shank Yeoman plow. I moved lots of dirt around
creating large terraces and three catchment ponds with flourishing aquaculture ecosystems. One of the objectives was to eliminate erosion and decrease and channel runoff.

And where did you find them?

This document (often updated & send me tool source info to add to it)
Garden tool sourcelist and biointensive gardening guide:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq