permaculture - Re: [permaculture] natives AND permactulture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] natives AND permactulture
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:35:34 -0500

We were working on a new site, that had the whole 35 acres of topsoil
scraped, piled at the edge of the property, & "returned" after the
grading was done. I certainly am not a fan of industrial approach,
especially since this was a plot that had been a cow pasture for the
whole of the 20th century...

This redistribution of the top soil made our work especially
difficult, encouraged the whole dormant seed bank to bloom & affected
germination of the prairie seed. The first year sprouting was pretty
disappointing but we burned 5 springs in a row & every year 5-10 new
species show up. We still have a horrible problem with Canada
goldenrod & we're about to try some experiments like solarizing,
removing rhizomes by hand etc. But all in all, for a DIY job, its
starting to look pretty nice.

~mIEKAL