permaculture - Re: [permaculture] natives AND permactulture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] natives AND permactulture
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:27:34 -0400

I think this is common practice everywhere. That's how they "prepare" fields
around here for planting just about anything.

How did y'all end up doing it? I imagine a lot of folks would just till and
plant as an alternative, but I think that's too much work overall. If I were
to be the lazybones I am and wanted to cause a disturbance to then plant in,
I'd set the field on fire (well, slow burn at least). I think fire is a
critical land-management strategy that's been totally forgotten, except in
the case of the forest service doing prescribed burns, but these are
definitely not done in any ecologically sound way.

Evan