permaculture - Re: [permaculture] people care

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] people care
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:50:53 -0800

hi Sakia
Take a look at Permaculturalist and Doctor Patch Adams Work http://www.patchadams.org/hcjg
wes

Health Care Justice Gathering
Register Now!
A gathering at the beautiful Gesundheit! Institute in West Virginia with programs from December 27, 2010 to January 1, 2011
Wild wigs and clown noses, talks by Patch Adams and his team of doctor-dreamers, imaginations that span the sky, sunrise hikes in West Virginia hills, music and dance, organic nourishment, and most of all, inspiration to change the world of medicine! If any of the above pique your interests, read on, dear friends! We are looking for 30 health justice activists nationwide to join together for an inspiring and unforgettable gathering at Patch Adams' Gesundheit! Institute in Hillsboro, West Virginia.
The Healthcare Justice Gathering is an activism-oriented meeting of students, physicians, medical professionals, clowns, and community-builders, whose programming is organized and created by its participants. Initially started in 2005 by the Direct Action Interest Group at AMSA, the HCJG is going on its fifth year and has expanded to include a workshop-based gathering at Patch Adams' Gesundheit! Institute in Hillsboro, WV, Dec 27, 2010 -Jan 1, 2010.

Past conferences have included workshops on: Building Novel Model Health Clinics, Coalitions, Liberation Medicine, Body Language and Greetings, Medical School Curriculum, Laughter Yoga, Diversity and Racism, Permaculture and Land Sustainability, Media Tools for Activism, and the Economics of National Healthcare. Patch Adams, Susan Parenti, John Glick, Lanny Smith, Margaret Flowers, Paul Glover, John Stang, Andru Ziwasimon, and many other physician-activists have participated and presented, and we are looking to have a similarly brilliant line-up this year.
The theme of this year's gathering is Activism in Healthcare: Visions and Strategies. The conference will provide opportunities to meet with current healthcare activists and to develop individual action strategies to help you continue to practice activism when you return to your community. We encourage participants to brainstorm about their own interactions with and knowledge of activism and to consider leading a workshop at the gathering.
This organic conference has reached out to participants from Canada to Mexico, students from allopathic, osteopathic, and naturopathic institutions, Ph.D. candidates in hospital administration programs, nurses, physicians, residents, and high-school students. The meeting draws strength through building a lasting community. Students from past conferences organize the gathering for future participants to experience, allowing for continuity and evolution of the project.
Participants should arrive at the Gesundheit! Institute by the evening of Dec 26th and stay through the morning of Jan 1st, 2010. We ask everyone to pitch in $ for food and housing - the love and life changing part is free of charge! Questions? Email Elisa!

Has anyone in the US come up with a good Permaculture solution for health care? My husband and I have our own business and have been going without insurance without but we want to start a family and it seems our risk of medical emergency/ bankruptcy is increasing. We don't want to pay into a system that doesn't work/ take care of us. Has anyone been successful at forming a group health-care fund or any other creative solution?
Thanks!

Saskia Esslinger
Red Edge Design Urban Homesteads for Modern Livinghttp://rededgealaska.com/907.563.1119 office907.529.2498 cell

Read the public message archives here:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture
Command to put in your browser's Google search box to search these archives:
site:lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture [search string (omit the brackets)]
List Usage & Guidelines:
http://ibiblio.org/permaculture/documents/permaculturelistguide.faq
Permaculture http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture
Permaculture Mailing List Blog