permaculture - [permaculture] people care

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: SMLA Esslinger <africasaskia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] people care
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:27:52 -0800 (PST)

Has anyone in the US come up with a good Permaculture solution for health
care?  My husband and I have our own business and have been going without
insurance without but we want to start a family and it seems our risk of
medical emergency/ bankruptcy is increasing.  We don't want to pay into a
system that doesn't work/ take care of us.  Has anyone been successful at
forming a group health-care fund or any other creative solution?
Thanks!

Saskia Esslinger
Red Edge Design Urban Homesteads for Modern
Livinghttp://rededgealaska.com/907.563.1119 office907.529.2498 cell

>From michael@fingerlakespermaculture.org Thu Dec 2 14:39:02 2010
> Has anyone in the US come up with a good Permaculture solution for health
> care?

from: http://www.ithacahealth.org/

The Ithaca Health Alliance was founded in 1997. Our mission is to facilitate
access to health care for all, with a focus on the needs of the uninsured.

We've moved! Visitors, please note our new office and Free Clinic location at
521 West Seneca Street in Ithaca, NY.

Since our founding, we have used the contributions of our members to create a
sustainable model of community-oriented, community-driven solutions to the
ongoing healthcare crisis. Today, with hundreds of members throughout the
state of New York, we have three primary programs: the Ithaca Health Fund, the
Ithaca Free Clinic and Ithaca Health Alliance Educational Programs.

Ithaca Health Fund
The Ithaca Health Fund provides financial assistance in meeting the costs of
health care. Through the Fund, IHA provides grants that can help with specific
categories of preventive and emergency healthcare expenses. The Fund also
offers interest-free loans for dental procedures, eye care, and improvement of
professional health services. Through the IHA Community Grants program, small
grants are offered to other groups doing health-related work.
Fund grants are available to all general and provider members of IHA (New
York state residency required, as below). Any member of our community with
demonstrable financial need can apply for a free enrollment through the
Fund.

Ithaca Free Clinic
The Health Alliance opened a free health Clinic in downtown Ithaca on January
23, 2006. The Ithaca Free Clinic (IFC) provides 100% free healthcare services
to the un- and under-insured residents of Tompkins County and the surrounding
region. IFC is a medically integrated facility where volunteer health
professionals provide both conventional and holistic medical services to
clinic visitors as well as health insurance counseling and other services.
At IFC, anyone may receive free healthcare services for which they
otherwise have no insurance coverage. IFC services are on a walk-in basis,
with no appointment required. Follow-up appointments can be scheduled as
needed. The Ithaca Free Clinic is open on Mondays 2-6 p.m. and Thursdays
4-8 p.m., with therapeutic services available by appointment on Tuesdays.
We are located at 225 South Fulton Street (second floor) in Ithaca, NY.

Educational Programs
The Alliance offers free educational programming for the general public.
Informal classes, lectures, and guest speakers are offered throughout the
year; other events are scheduled as they arise. We offer resources in the
waiting area of our offices at the Free Clinic, which everyone is welcome to
browse through. We network with experts in all fields of health to help our
neighbors learn about the wealth of health options available. Our quarterly
newsletter provides information about different health subjects and other
educational resources in addition to news of the organization.

The Ithaca Health Alliance was created on a cooperative model, and from the
beginning we have been shaped by our members. Through the power of community
building, our members help other members in need with health expenses —
financially, through the organization and the services they make possible, and
directly, through services like member-to-member benefits, which include
discounts on health care offered by our Provider Members.

--
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
offers workshops, apprenticeships, and