permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Censorship: was Encouraging "volunteer" crops in urban landscapes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelly Simmons <kelly@bouldersustainability.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Censorship: was Encouraging "volunteer" crops in urban landscapes
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 17:16:34 -0700

Hi Keith - There has been much discussion about censorship on the list, but I don't think guerilla gardening is one of the off limits topics. :-)

My favorite method of gardening with annuals is to let a few specimens go to seed - so much less work and the volunteers are quite hardy. When they pop up in the Spring I move them around to where i want them. My garden beds are sheet mulched so it isn't quite wild guerilla gardening, but things do sprout in the paths quite often. Annuals and bi-annuals that have readily seeded themselves and yielded edible offspring in our high desert region, Colorado, include carrots, kale, chard, arugula, parsley, cilantro, tomatoes, pumpkins, lettuce, walking onions, potatoes (didn't get them all), garlic, catnip, sunflowers, lemon balm, and borage.

Kelly