permaculture - [permaculture] clarifying Artichoke question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Amy Little <amylittle@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: Denali Delmar <denalixyz@gmail.com>, northeasternpermaculture@lists.riseup.net, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] clarifying Artichoke question
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:13:32 -0400

Thanks for the artichoke advice from all.

I planted 6 varieties, 12 plants, started very early, and did the fake season thing. 2 varieties had a really good giving season with 2-3 batches of good sized art-chokes. 2 Other varieties got diseased, I think weakened by aphids, died back but are not coming back to life with very strong growth. The last 2 varieties are HUGE and very health.

So now I have plants with terrific growth and health. Does anyone have any experience with Keeping artichoke plants alive over cold Northeast winters?

(By the way, the ladybug larvae have feasted on the aphids and sufficiently controlled the problem. )

Happy frosty season. We got our first frost and freeze this weekend.

Amy