permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Site analysis tools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Archer <permaculture@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Site analysis tools
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:52:08 +1100

At 6:34 AM +0100 13/10/10, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
>--- On Wed, 10/13/10, Richard Archer <permaculture@juggernaut.com.au> wrote:
>> Here's a decent write up of a solar site survey:
>>
>> http://www.builditsolar.com/SiteSurvey/site_survey.htm
>>
>> It uses the solar chart generator at:
>>
>> http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html
>>
>Thanks, I have read the info and generated the chart, but I am still
>unsure how to transform this info into two sun path plan diagrams,
>similar to those shown, just above the solar altitude digram.
Any tips on how to convert?

>From your solar chart generated at the uoregon site:
Pick a day of the year (the blue lines)
Pick a time of day (the red lines)
>From the point of intersection, read the azimuth on
the horizontal axis (this is the direction to the sun).

Plotting the altitude of the sun wouldn't really make
sense on a map, perhaps the best you could do would
be to fill in the shadow areas. To do that, read off
the altitude on the vertical axis of your chart and do
some simple trig with the angle and the height of the
object to work out the shadow area.

...R.