permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Site analysis tools

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Archer <permaculture@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Site analysis tools
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 16:17:45 +1100

At 6:07 AM +0100 13/10/10, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>I have been asked to put together a site analysis and I want to make
>it as accurate and informative as possible. I am using transparencies
>to to display the various flow patters, but some are more difficult to
>establish than others. Winter and summer sunlight for example. Is
>there some equation based on my lat and long that will give me
>accurate figures for this?

Here's a decent write up of a solar site survey:

http://www.builditsolar.com/SiteSurvey/site_survey.htm

It uses the solar chart generator at:

http://solardat.uoregon.edu/SunChartProgram.html

It's important to do the obstacle survey especially if
your site is hilly or treed. It makes a big difference
to the optimum orientation of sun-facing glass for
passive solar homes and greenhouses.

...Richard.