permaculture - Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] when to harvest bamboo
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 01:09:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Georg,

I'm in the Alentejo in the South of Portugal. There is the Bambouseraie,
which you might have heard about, only a few miles from my place. It was
first started in the South of France and they expanded here to take advantage
of the milder winters. But they have a lot more water than I do. They also
have sandy soil, while mine is heavy clay. Still I manage to grow about 7
species at the bottom of our valley where the soil stays moist when all else
has gone dry. So I usually get them through the dry season without too much
irrigation. But water obviously is the most limiting factor I have.

Dieter